Pedaling for Peace

On April 15, 2012 I started riding my bicycle cross-country from Jacksonville, Florida in voluntary support of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation (NAPF) and the work of author and Peace Leadership Director for the NAPF, Paul K. Chappell. By July 4th, I had covered over 1300 miles to just west of Luling, Texas where a major mechanical failure brought this first stage of my cross-country journey to an end. After storing my bicycle and trailer with my aunt and uncle in Weatherford, Texas, I flew from Dallas to Santa Barbara, California to attend the NAPF First Annual Peace Leadership Summer Workshop. I then lived and worked in Santa Barbara for several more months before I returned to Jacksonville and sold off the rest of my possessions that I could to help fund a continuation of my journey. Starting June 8, 2013 and ending August 9, 2013, I rode from Weatherford, through 400 miles of the central Texas hill country, including Austin, Texas, back to Luling. It was at this point that a friend of mine invited me to work for a brief period in Pennsylvania before flying me back to Santa Barbara where I continued volunteering for the NAPF as well as for the Santa Barbara Bike Coalition. As of August 9th, 2014 I began"Stage III" of my cross-country adventure, this time heading south from Santa Barbara to San Diego and then east to El Paso, TX. It was there that illness, winter weather, and diminishing resources brought that leg of my journey to an end. After staying with another friend in Columbus, GA for several months, I moved "back home" to Kentucky to stay with my dad for a while and build a better "resource base" for future endeavors including review and further tracking and primitive survival skills training at Tom Brown, Jr's Tracker School , and a possible longer tour of the east coast, northern tier, and north west coast back down to Santa Barbara, CA.


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Legs Sore - Taking a Couple Days Off to Attend to "Administrative Details" : )

When I got on my bicycle yesterday, I realized my 35 mile trek the day before had been a little more stressful than I had thought at first. I was definitely feeling some soreness and tiredness in my legs. Nevertheless, I was determined to do some "errands" on my bicycle including finding the local library and then making a few stops on my way back, one for more fabric to make a "rain fly" for my tent, and then grocery shopping at Trader Joe's and Martin's so I'd have everything I needed to make some more green smoothies (this time frozen mango, peach juice, and kale). I've decided to take the next couple days off, to give my body some more time to recover, before heading out for another long ride.

In the mean time...

Since my host does not have a computer set-up with a printer here, I need to spend some time at the library as I have a few letters to prepare (especially for my creditors, to let them know "what's up"). I am also thinking about contacting certain companies for sponsorship, like Clif for Luna Bars and Shot electrolyte powder, and Maine Coast Sea Vegetables for Dulse. In addition, there are the companies whose products I already have that I will be "advertising" as I use them, like Apple for the iPad, GoalZero for my solar energy system, Gore for my cycling clothes, and Home Depot, Jo-Ann's Fabrics, and Hancock's Fabrics as I have used quite a few materials from all of these places to outfit my rig. Furthermore, I have received gear and services from places like City Bikes, Revolution Cycles, and REI in Maryland, and I will probably be adding one or two other bike shops to that list from here in Williamsburg, Va. (For the record, I already have a "deal" arranged with Rock-the-Bike should I manage to sell any of their Fender Blenders or other products during my trip.)

(Another reason for spending time at the library is because I want to see if I can use a public PC to down-load pictures directly to this blog. I'll admit, I still need to contact the Apple Store to see if there are applications that will allow me to do that, but for now, I'm kind of looking forward to using the library's facilities. : ))

More with regards to "sponsorship": There are at least two levels: the more public companies and private individuals. However, I really want that support to come because others recognize some VALUE in what I am doing: entertainment value, inspirational value, instructional value, advertising value, human value, etc. and they want to show their recognition of that "value" by offering their financial support. Furthermore, I realize I haven't actually started my trip yet. I haven't actually gotten on my bike and ridden it with all of my gear on it, so the journey hasn't "officially" begun, and I'm sure there are some people out there doubting as to whether or not I will actually get to that point. So, if they withhold support for that reason, I completely understand.

However, I am doing everything right now that I know how to do to actually get me, my bike, and all my gear, on the road. And although I still have a lot to do before that day arrives, and even though I'm not exactly certain when that day is going to arrive, I do feel it is coming, if for no other reason it will be the natural outcome of all of the effort, all of the other smaller goals that I have accomplished thus far.

If I were a betting person, I'd be betting in my favor, respecting the fact that I am, after all, a "turtle" and though I may not be doing this as quickly as others would, or as others might expect (even myself), I will "win" this "race" (i.e. accomplish my objectives), slowly but surely (with more emphasis on the "surely" part rather than the "slowly" part! : ))

So, for now, it's off to the library I go... : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment