Pedaling for Peace

On April 15, 2012 I started riding my bicycle cross-country from Jacksonville, Florida in voluntary support of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation (NAPF) and the work of author and Peace Leadership Director for the NAPF, Paul K. Chappell. By July 4th, I had covered over 1300 miles to just west of Luling, Texas where a major mechanical failure brought this first stage of my cross-country journey to an end. After storing my bicycle and trailer with my aunt and uncle in Weatherford, Texas, I flew from Dallas to Santa Barbara, California to attend the NAPF First Annual Peace Leadership Summer Workshop. I then lived and worked in Santa Barbara for several more months before I returned to Jacksonville and sold off the rest of my possessions that I could to help fund a continuation of my journey. Starting June 8, 2013 and ending August 9, 2013, I rode from Weatherford, through 400 miles of the central Texas hill country, including Austin, Texas, back to Luling. It was at this point that a friend of mine invited me to work for a brief period in Pennsylvania before flying me back to Santa Barbara where I continued volunteering for the NAPF as well as for the Santa Barbara Bike Coalition. As of August 9th, 2014 I began"Stage III" of my cross-country adventure, this time heading south from Santa Barbara to San Diego and then east to El Paso, TX. It was there that illness, winter weather, and diminishing resources brought that leg of my journey to an end. After staying with another friend in Columbus, GA for several months, I moved "back home" to Kentucky to stay with my dad for a while and build a better "resource base" for future endeavors including review and further tracking and primitive survival skills training at Tom Brown, Jr's Tracker School , and a possible longer tour of the east coast, northern tier, and north west coast back down to Santa Barbara, CA.


Thursday, March 29, 2012

Food Basics Part V - Lori's Special Egg Fried Rice

If you have not had a chance to read the previous blogs in this series, here are all of the links:

Food Basics Part I, Food Basics Part IIFood Basics Part III, and Food Basics Part IV.

In this installment I will go through the basic recipe for my "Special Egg Fried Rice".

Ingredients and Directions are as follows:

Make 5-6 Servings of cooked brown and wild rice

I mix one bag of Trader Joe's Brown Basmati with one bag of Trader Joe's Wild Rice when I store it. (If you buy in bulk, it's 1 Part Wild Rice to 2 Parts Basmati or Long Grain Rice.) I prepare the rice as follows:

1 Cup Brown/Wild rice mix, rinsed
2 Cups water plus two Trader Joe's Concentrated Chicken Broth packets

In a medium pot, bring the water/broth mixture to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat to slow simmer, cover and let cook for 45-50 minutes. Turn heat off and leave rice to finish absorbing remaining liquid for another 10-15 minutes.

If you find the water boiling out too quickly during the 45 minutes, either reduce heat or add slightly more to the recipe at the beginning. Too much water left over, increase heat slightly or reduce water.

Whatever you do...leave the lid ON the whole time the rice is cooking.

Makes approximately 5-6 servings.

In a medium to large skillet or wok, heat 1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (or some other regular cooking oil) and 1 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seed Oil on medium to medium high heat.

Add 1/2 lb coarsely chopped carrots (rounds or quarters depending on the size of the carrots). Let cook for approximately 1 minute.

(Images are of a smaller skillet, doing two portions at a time. However, this can all be combined in a larger skillet.)

Add 4 oz. frozen peas. Keep in mind the frozen peas are going to cool the oil down for a few minutes, so give it time to heat back up as it is cooking everything.




(At this point you may also add other stir-fry ingredients of your choice, cut in roughly the same size as the carrots, mushrooms for instance work well.)






Prepare 6 eggs by beating them slightly in a bowl with the 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1-3 teaspoons soy/tamari sauce or Braggs Aminos.






Alternatively, use approximately 3.5 - 5 oz soft tofu instead of eggs by cutting it into small cubes and tossing with salt, pepper, and soy sauce before adding to cooking carrots and peas.




Pour eggs over cooking vegetables and stir until they are "soft scrambled".


Tofu just needs to be heated through.




(For the following three ingredients, review the Food Basics Part IV blog for directions on how to prepare.)




To the stir fry mixture, add One Pint Jar of Lentil Sprouts, One Pint Jar of Mung Bean Sprouts, and 1/3 cup soaked sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.





Continue cooking only long enough so that eggs dry out more and sprouts are only lightly "steamed".


Turn off heat, but leave skillet on stove.




Add prepared rice and layer over stir fry mix.












Cover with skillet lid, and let heat through for another 5-10 minutes.











Remove lid. Mix all ingredients together.










Serve topped with about 1-3 teaspoons dried Dulse Flakes for eating immediately.


















Otherwise, store stir-fry mix in containers in the refrigerator for up to a week or more.

To reheat: put a small amount of water in a small to medium size pan. Add stir-fry mix. Cover. Let water steam through mix. Add Dulse as above before eating.

This concludes the "Recipe/Food Prep" part of this series. In the final blog, I will explain why I have personally chosen these particular foods over others to take with me on my trip, and even now, to eat on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment